Civic Nebraska (Civic Nebraska) and Lutheran Family Services At Ease® have created the Nebraska Veteran Leader Corps Program to provide veterans with job readiness and community engagement programs to ensure a smooth transition into civilian life and employment support to a disproportionately unemployed population.
This partnership also includes the national Points of Light Foundation and AmeriCorps. Veteran Corps members create job training programs, leverage existing programs, recruit businesses and corporations to provide job opportunities for veterans, train businesses on the benefits of hiring veterans, and tailor community leadership training and corresponding community engagement projects to veterans.
Three full-time Veteran Leader Corps members have been recently hired to develop and manage three distinct programs. These programs are 1) job training and readiness 2) job development and 3) community engagement.
In order to effectively achieve this goal, Civic Nebraska’s job readiness and community engagement services will include but are not limited to:
1 Recruiting employers who provide preference to veterans,
2) Educating those employers of the federal, and in some cases, state benefits of employing veterans,
3) Providing training for employers on unique issues facing veterans,
4) Providing resume, cover letter, and job interview coaching and strategies specific to veterans,
5) Providing one-on-one (and group) veterans benefit counseling and assistance in navigating educational, job, and federal veterans benefits,
6) Providing referral services to mental health specialists (provided by Lutheran Family Services At Ease),
7) Creating and promoting veteran specific community service opportunities,
8) Creating a veteran-to-veteran networking and mentoring program
Our services are available at our Lincoln office or at our satellite office at the Bellevue University Veterans Center. Both addresses and phone numbers can be found below.
To request more information or to participate in our program, please contact Adam Morfeld, or one of our three Veteran Leader Corps members based on their program area of responsibility:
Job Readiness and Training: Cliff McEvoy, MPA, firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Development: Sara Tangdall, MA: email@example.com
Community Engagement: Rachel Gehringer-Wiar, firstname.lastname@example.org