It’s May, and that means it’s “grow time” across the state. Spades and shovels are turning up the soil as planting begins, from backyard gardens to vast fields of corn and soybeans. May is also when many Nebraska nonprofits focus on growth — throughout the month, they’re engaging with donors as part of a pair of events built to bring out the best in Nebraskans.
We’re referring to Omaha Gives! and Give to Lincoln Day, two separate, daylong charitable challenges. Each giving event highlights each city’s spirit of giving and celebrates the combined determination it takes to make our state great.
Omaha Gives! is May 22, while Give To Lincoln Day is May 30. But here’s the great thing about both events: The window to give isn’t limited to a 24-hour period. Now that it’s May, you can schedule your gift to Civic Nebraska any time, and it will count toward our total at the end of the month.
Why give to Civic Nebraska? Because we build young leaders. We connect and empower Nebraskans to strengthen democracy. We cultivate active members of society in our schools, neighborhoods, and communities. And we protect your voting rights.
Help us grow! Here are a few more suggestions on how you can show your support for Civic Nebraska:
• Schedule your gift in advance. For your convenience, you can schedule an advance gift through 11:59 pm the night before each event and it will count toward our May 22 (Omaha) and May 30 (Lincoln) totals. We think of scheduled giving like early voting; it ensures peace of mind. If you think there’s even a slim chance you might be kept from participating on May 22 or May 30, you can always donate in advance.
• Save the date – and encourage others to, too. May 22 is going to be a huge day for generosity in Omaha; and May 30 will be similarly enormous for Lincoln. Be sure to let friends and family know in advance that you’re participating in Omaha Gives! or Give To Lincoln Day, and that you’re supporting Civic Nebraska. Feel free to point them to our donation pages for either event.
• Or, donate to us on the big day. Drop by our Omaha Gives! and Give To Lincoln pages to lend your support anytime from midnight to midnight on the big days. No gift is too big or too small, and every dollar pushes us closer to our goal. Donations of $25 or more receive a vinyl sticker of the Civic Nebraska seal logo, which, by the way, looks great on a laptop or a car window.
• Give us some “link love.” On both days, social media posts about your support of Civic Nebraska can serve to challenge friends to step up for our organization. If you like, include a link to our donation pages in your posts, along with a reminder that your friends’ and followers’ support can help us earn prize funds.
• Follow along on the big days. Check in on the Omaha Gives! leaderboard throughout the day on May 22, and the Give To Lincoln Day leaderboard on May 30. Also, be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for regular updates on our progress. It’s going to be a lot of fun!
We’re eager to be a part of our state coming together in May to give big, and we’re glad to count you among our supporters. Thanks for being a friend to Civic Nebraska – and for helping us grow.